Ever since I was a little girl, I have always wanted window boxes on my house. I thought they added such charm and I could just imagine looking out the window and seeing cheerful little blossoms peering back at me. Once we bought our house, I started to shop around and was flabbergasted by how pricey these seemingly simple boxes are. In the end, it became a DIY project that is so so easy.
You will need (for one window box):
One wooden box from your local craft store (I purchased mine from AC Moore)
Screws (1.5" should do the trick)
Drill
Pair of scroll brackets (I purchased mine from Home Depot)
Paint for window box
Spray paint for brackets
1. If your box does not have a hole on the bottom, use a drill to create one for drainage
2. Select a paint that is made for the wear and tear of outdoors. The one I used is leftover from our front door and is made to stick to vinyl - it worked very well
3. Paint all sides of the box (including the inside, back, and the bottom)
4. While drying, lay out the scroll brackets on news print and spray paint in your choice of color (I chose black)
5. Next you will need to decide on the placement of your window box. I chose to center mine and have the top of the window box meet the bottom of the window sill. With a pencil, draw a line on the siding where the bottom of the window box will sit (don't forget to erase these later!)
6. Once placement is determined, take your bracket and and line the top of it up with your pencil line
7. Drill the brackets in place
8. Once your paint has dried on the window box, you can now plant all of your pretty flowers and place the box on the scroll brackets. Make sure to select plants that are appropriate for the amount of sunlight your window boxes will get!



0 darling comments:
Post a Comment