Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Confessions...

Ok, it is confession time. I have a problem: I am a thrift shop junkie.

Sure, maybe the occasional innocent trip to find a gem in an antique shop is the norm, but Brian and I went overboard last Saturday. We ventured to seven (count 'em), SEVEN antique shops. Oh, and that doesn't include the neighborhood yard sales we hit on our way home. I knew that I was on a downward spiral with my addiction when Brian and I found ourselves in the basement of someone's house/shop off of Highway 70 in Durham. I looked around me in the dingy, cement room at the mound of broken furniture ("Hoarding" style) and realized I had reached a new low.

All I wanted was some pretty side chairs to re-upholster! At least I have hit rock-bottom in this new activity they call "thrifting." Now that I have confessed, I hope that loved ones will never let me get to that level again!

But, all was not lost. We did find this lovely little mirror.



Brian actually spotted it and I was very impressed with his well-trained eye! When visiting relatives in the mountains a few weeks ago, we found a similar one that was chipped beyond repair and I was devastated I couldn't take it home with me. But this beauty is in pretty good condition (minus the blanket of dust stuck to it) and I LOVE the little rose details.

And here are the things we picked up last week I am still waiting to find time to work on.


Such pretty hardware!

Okay, now bear with me on this one...

I needed a large frame for our wedding reception to point our lovely guests in the right direction to drinks, dinner, and bocce! Something like this beauty:

[Via Bride on a Budget]


But this is what we got...


A bit rustic, I know, but I think a white, shabby-chic finish will make this ugly duckling blend in seamlessly with our venue. Well, at least I hope it will.

 Did you find any treasures this weekend? Do share so that I don't feel alone in my obsession!


2 darling comments:

  1. WOW - those are great finds. The floral hardware on the night stands put a smile to my face!

    And I definitely think you can shabby chic - up that frame for your wedding. I cannot wait to see what you'll come up with. FUN projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @StarletStarlet: Thanks for the encouragement! I am planning on tackling that monstrosity this weekend... wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete