Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One man's trash is another man's treasure

About a year ago now, Brian and I found this tiny little bedside table at Goodwill.


It looked so well-loved. I could just imagine a little girl putting those stickers on the side and thinking how pretty they looked in her room (it wasn't so pretty trying to get those darned things off). Brian and I were getting ready to check out when he noticed this note tucked away beneath the drawer - a type writer letter circa 1982 sent from Paris. It was so romantic to me. I envisioned the writer lounging in her gorgeous Parisian apartment, striking away at those keys while gazing off at the Eiffel Tower and gingerly sipping a cafe.

Well fast-forward a year to last weekend. My mom had come over to visit for a bit, and I happened to have this letter sitting around. I told her the story and gave it to her to read. A few seconds later I heard an, "Oh my gosh, Elizabeth - do you know who this is?!" Apparently, the signature on this letter belongs to Olivia de Havilland: the actress who played Melanie in Gone with the Wind. She is the only living cast member from the movie at 95 years old. Neat-o! Way to go, Mom.



Even before I found out who the author was, I really wanted to blow it up and frame it as art in the guest bedroom. I love the type-writer look and the color of the faded paper. Anyone ever done this?

2 darling comments: