Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The High Low Project

After work yesterday, I came home prepared to enjoy a nice episode of Design Star (P.S. Why is Cathy not gone yet?!). Naturally, the commercials come on (which I cannot fast forward through) and HGTV hooks me again with yet another addicting show: The High Low Project with Sabrina Soto. I'll admit, I was only a mild fan of Sabrina; I never could really get a sense of her design style aside from the home staging shows she hosts. But the premise of this show is pretty fantastic. The clients sit down with the designer, go through their style, wants/needs, etc to find the perfect design. Sabrina then executes it in their home, using only the creme de la creme of furnishings. You know, the high end pieces you drool over in showrooms and market. After the clients "ok" the design elements, Sabrina reveals the price tag: $30,000+. Not quite the economy-friendly selection :) Sabrina and her design team then go back and re-create the same room with a much more reasonable budget: $3,000. While I do think it is quite cruel to subject these innocent clients to gorgeous antiques and designer pieces, I LOVE the concept. I wish, however, that the customers selected a style out of a magazine instead of having a design created in their home twice. Isn't that what most people do? Find a room in a magazine you love, rip it out, and post it on a bulletin board someone declaring one day you will have that room. I think the modern day version of this is Pinterest.

I will definitely apply this concept in the real world. Instead of wasting time asking clients EXACTLY what they want (a lot of times, they don't know themselves), it may be better to ask for a photo of their dream room. After all, a picture of a design is worth a thousand words, but it doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars :)

Sorry for my rant, but I will leave you with an inspiring thought to get you over the hump :)


0 darling comments:

Post a Comment